RE: need help firewalling homebrew http+smtp+dns+vpn

This is a pretty nifty setup Andrea.  As for the specific rules you are
going to need to allow it to perform, I agree with Anthony in that you
should consult the tutorials as this will be a somewhat complex rule set
(too much for me to list here).  Couple of comments:

1. Port 42 is WINS replication so you do not need to worry about it unless
you are using a complex & pure SAMBA setup on the internal machines.

2. Double layer of SNAT is fine and provides an extra layer of security of
internal machines.

3. It's not clear to me where or how your VPN is connecting, and where the
end points are.  However, since it appears to be in-line to the double SNAT,
architecturally it is sound and should work.

4. It's not clear why you are concerned with ppp0 or PPPoE encapsulation.
Your DSL router should handle that just fine.  Since your interface to the
outside world has a static IP, you can use SNAT for these rules instead of
MASQ.  If you have a typical DSL router, is not your external interface an
eth? And not a ppp?.