Re: Proxies

  Hi,

2003-12-17, sze keltezéssel 14:32-kor jwebb@xxxxxxxxxxx ezt írta:
> Recently we've noticed a couple of users trying to use proxies to bypass
> our filtering.  Ordinarily this is no problem, as we're blocking standard
> proxy ports.  However, some users have wised up and started using proxies
> on port 80.
>
> We've been blocking based on port, and obviously we can't block all of
> port 80 outbound.  Is there any way to block a proxy on port 80 and still
> have it be transparent to the users?

  You should use some kind of application level proxy in transparent
mode. For example, if you only want to allow HTTP traffic on port 80,
then you should redirect outgoing TCP traffic with destination port 80
to an HTTP proxy (squid, HTTP module of Zorp, etc.). These proxies
should be able to restrict HTTP traffic strict enough so that it cannot
be used to proxy anything other than real HTTP. Of course you should be
aware that there are TCP over HTTP tunnels, which do not violate the
HTTP protocol specification. However, these require a host outside your
network running the "server" side of the tunnel software.

  Of course this method will be not so efficient as packet filtering,
but makes a lot of interesting things possible. (Caching, content
filtering, on-the-fly virus scanning, etc.)

--
 Regards,
   Krisztian KOVACS