From: netfilter-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:netfilter-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ralf
Spenneberg
Sent: 14. december 2003 12:50
To: mbrei@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Netfilter
Subject: Re: Routing a VPN.....confused

Am Son, 2003-12-14 um 03.24 schrieb Matt Brei:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to set up a VPN with my buddy back in Chicago.  We're both
> using iptables to nat our Internet connection to the rest of the LAN
and
> filter out all the naughtiness on the cable modem connection.  So far,
> we've tried FreeS/WAN on the iptables routers, but as soon as we start
> the ipsec service, it kills the Internet connection.
This sounds pretty much like a configuration issue using freeswan >=
2.0. FreeS/WAN enables opportunistic encryption (OE) by default. This
may interrupt your Internet connections since it tries to encrypt
everything by default. It uses policy groups for this. You probably have
to disable these policy groups.

Take a look at:
http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_trees/freeswan-2.04/doc/policygroups.ht
ml#disable_policygroups