Re: Connections with SYN aren't NEW

Antony Stone <Antony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> - Sun, Dec 14, 2003:

> What do you gain from having them match NEW, which isn't already true if they
> match --syn?

 Frankly speaking, I am not certain of the true benefits I will ever
 enjoy of forcing both NEW and --syn. But the topic of where to place
 the limit in the types of traffic you accept would be too much of a
 troll to discuss here... ;)
   I see the TCP flags and the conntrack as two different providers for
 the information "this is a new TCP connections". I think I should only
 believe a new connection takes place when both agree, because my goal
 is to stop suspicious traffic.

 As a dumb example of traffic I could reject with such a rule, I could
 take an injected SYN packet in the middle of a real TCP connection
 generating a tcp-reset and effectively closing the connection. This
 could be an efficient manner of closing a connection in a way which
 couldn't easily be seen. Call me paranoid, I prefer to call myself
 ignorant of what somebody could do if I don't disallow this :)

 Is this clear enough? or too far-fetched?

   Sincerely,

--
Loïc Minier <lool@xxxxxxxx>