RE: logging with iptables

Bill - thanks a lot.  That's exactly what I was after.

-----Original Message-----
From: William Stearns [mailto:wstearns@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 13 December 2003 16:38
To: Antony Stone; Piers Finlayson
Cc: ML-netfilter; William Stearns
Subject: Re: logging with iptables

Good day, Piers,

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Antony Stone wrote:

> On Saturday 13 December 2003 9:45 am, Piers Finlayson wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to log a packet's entire contents with iptables, rather
than
> > just useful stuff from the packet header?
>
> No.   Netfilter has a single fixed logging format which shows onlt the
packet
> header information, nothing from the body itself.
>
> > I can run tcpdump/tethereal etc to log the packets I'm interested in,
but
> > figure it would be much neater if I can just use iptables to do it.
>
> You might want to have a look at http://gnumonks.org/projects/ulogd to see
if
> it will help with what you want, but I suspect tcpdump etc will remain
your
> best bet.

	It will help. http://www.stearns.org/doc/iptables-ulog.current.html
	Cheers,
	- Bill

	The thing that I suspect matters most is that Telsa is more
important to me than sitting in front of a computer reading email.
	- Alan Cox
William Stearns (wstearns@xxxxxxxxx).  Mason, Buildkernel, freedups, p0f,
rsync-backup, ssh-keyinstall, dns-check, more at:   http://www.stearns.org
Linux articles at:                         http://www.opensourcedigest.com