Re: logging with iptables

On Saturday 13 December 2003 9:45 am, Piers Finlayson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to log a packet's entire contents with iptables, rather than
> just useful stuff from the packet header?

No.   Netfilter has a single fixed logging format which shows onlt the packet
header information, nothing from the body itself.

> I can run tcpdump/tethereal etc to log the packets I'm interested in, but
> figure it would be much neater if I can just use iptables to do it.

You might want to have a look at http://gnumonks.org/projects/ulogd to see if
it will help with what you want, but I suspect tcpdump etc will remain your
best bet.

Antony.

--
"Note: Windows 98, Windows 98SE and Windows 95 are not affected by [MS
Blaster].   However, these products are no longer supported.   Users of these

(which *are* affected by MS Blaster...)

http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.