Re: Weird TCP flags?

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 08:59, Antony Stone wrote:

> > > I'm absolutely doing that -- here are the relevant ACCEPTs:
> > >
> > > iptables -A FORWARD -i ppp0 -o eth1 -p tcp --dport 80 -d 192.168.254.242
> > > -j ACCEPT
> > > iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i ppp0 -d <my.public.ip.here> -p tcp
> > > --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.254.242
> > >
> > > If I want to forward port 80 to that box, isn't that the way to do it?
> > > How would a connection escape conntrack?
>
> > You never told it to make an entry in conntrack.  Try this:
> > iptables -A FORWARD -i ppp0 -o eth1 -p tcp --dport 80 -d 192.168.254.242
> > -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
>
> I disagree with this.
>
> Making the rule more explicit by matching state NEW is not a bad idea, but it
> has nothing to do with whether a conntrack table entry gets created or not.
> If you have compiled in connection tracking, or loaded the module, then all
> connections which are ACCEPTed will result in a conntrack table entry.
> There's no way to stop that happening on a connection-by-connection basis.
>
> Antony.
I'm sure you know better than I.  I always assumed that NEW was
necessary before ESTABLISHED and RELATED were meaningful but I have
never cracked open the netfilter code to confirm that assumption.  Thank
you for the correction - John
PS - what, then, is the purpose of NEW? Is it just for identifying new
connections for some other purpose than access control such as logging?
--
John A. Sullivan III
Chief Technology Officer