"owner" module fails with patched kernel

This may be a SuSE-specific question but a) no one answered it there, and b) there may be a more general answer. I just updated to the latest kernel patch on SuSE 8.1. Now using 2.4.21-151-athlon. This is patched for the latest (brk) vulnerability, as well as being a newer kernel. I think the previous kernel was 2.4.19, also optimised by SuSE for AMD. Iptables rules containing -m owner now give "Invalid Argument" when run. A few experiments suggest this is a general failure of the module, not just a particular filter line. It is successfully loaded, and gives a different error message if, for instance, I use --uid-owner with an invalid userid. Needless to say, this worked before the kernel upgrade. Iptables version is 1.2.7a, as distributed by SuSE. Anyone know why this might be and whether it is better to try a newer version of iptables, or is it likely to need recompiling for some reason? I presume all the modules are already recompiled by SuSE.
--
Roger Hayter