Re: limit outgoing *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 07:55, zynkx wrote:

> is it possible to limit outgoing smtp traffic with
> iptables? let's say i got a smtp running and i don't
> want anybody to send more than 3 mb of mail, each time
> a user sends an email somewhere. each email i send, i
> will not be able to send no more than 3 mb.is this
> possible to limit?

Not with IPTABLES.  The best way to enforce this limit is to set up a
Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) such as PostFix on a machine, define a set of
IPTABLE rules that limit outgoing port 25 access to the specific MTA
only, and set the size limit in PostFix's configuration file to 3
megabytes.

If you want to be less of a dictator, most Mail User Agents (MUAs) like
Outlook and Eudora have settings that will warn a user if they are
trying to send a mail with a size above a specified limit.  In Eudora,
that can be set on a per-account basis; I use this to avoid sending
large mails to certain mailing lists that won't accept them.  ("Large"
in this context is 50k.)

Not all problems are nails;  trying using more than just a hammer.

Satch