Re: Best Practices for iptables

On Friday 05 December 2003 5:40 pm, Daniel Chemko wrote:

> Best practices:
>
> WE ARE ALL HUMAN (I hope)
>
> If you are looking for the best case, you'd want to cover your own
> incompetence. Honestly, I work from this rule.
> I policy block everything that I haven't allowed explicitly, simply
> becausd if you try to build it in reverse, you're almost guaranteed to
> miss a lot of important blocks / etc..

I agree.

Think of it like this:

If you block everything, allow what you want, and forget something, then
either you or someone you're providing services for will say "this isn't
working - can you fix it please?" and you can correct the ruleset to allow
the missing service.

On the other hand, if you allow everything, and block the things you don't
want, then anything you forget about is more likely to be discovered by
somebody else on the Internet scanning and probing their way round your IP
address/es, and if they find something you forgot to block, chances are they
won't tell you :)

Therefore correcting mistakes is a whole lot easier if you start from the
"deny everything except these..." approach.

Antony.

--
Behind the counter a boy with a shaven head stared vacantly into space,
a dozen spikes of microsoft protruding from the socket behind his ear.

 - William Gibson, Neuromancer (1984)

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.