Re: Enabling RHN

On Friday 05 December 2003 5:30 pm, Alejandro Cabrera Obed wrote:

> Hi everybody, I've configured my first iptables script and it runs not too
> bad ;)

Congratulations :)

> My question is: what protocol and ports does Red Hat Network use in order
> to update my software in my iptables firewall connected to Internet ???

I don't know the answer to this (I don't use Red Hat), however I shall post
this reply anyway because it applies to so many questions we get on this list
along the lines of "what rules to I need to (allow|block) service x?"

My answer is that if you don't know, then simply add a LOGging rule to your
netfilter ruleset (in this case, if you can be specific about the destination
address (does RHN always connect to a known address?) then that will make
things easier), create some network traffic of whatever type it is you want
to make a rule for, and the log entries will then tell you which port/s,
protocol/s and IP address/es are involved.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone else on this list can answer your question
directly (and I don't want to dissuade anyone from doing so), however this is
an effective means by which anyone in your position can find out the
information for themselves.

Regards,

Antony.

--