Re: open ports 25/tcp and 110/tcp

On Wednesday 03 December 2003 11:32 pm, David F. Strauch wrote:

> Antony,
>
> I tried telnet from my WinXP machine to both open ports without any
> responce.  I'm hosting neither services on this machine.  It will be a
> gateway machine with a very minimal hardened installation.

Are you saying that from the same machine you did "nmap -sT -F -P0 -O
xx.xx.xx.xx" and got a report including "SMTP port 25 open" and "POP3 port
110 open", and also doing "telnet xx.xx.xx.xx 25" gives no response?

That makes no sense, because nmap -sT means a full TCP connect - the same as
the telnet command would do.

Please confirm whether I am understanding correctly that you are doing both
these tests from the same machine to the same address and getting different
answers?

Antony.

--
All matter in the Universe can be placed into one of two categories:

1. Things which need to be fixed.
2. Things which need to be fixed once you've had a few minutes to play with
them.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.