Re: Hello -- kind of of topic -- but still related

On Wednesday 03 December 2003 10:10 pm, Michael Gale wrote:

> In my log I am seeing the following -- but our production FTP server is
> currently out side of our network so we can connecting to it through a
> Cisco router. Not my doing :( Dec  3 15:00:57 lightning kernel:
> Firewall:IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=X.X.X.X SRC=CISCO_ROUTER DST=FTP_SERVER LEN=40
> TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=16538 PROTO=TCP SPT=5 DPT=35607 WINDOW=0
> RES=0x00 ACK RST URGP=0
>
> There are a large number of these packets -- at first it thought maybe it
> was the Cisco router doing something funny when a FTP connect closed and it
> was trying to close or reset the data channel.
>
> Any ideas ?

The packet in the log above has ACK and RST set - that suggests that the
remote end has rather abruptly decided to terminate the connection (ACK and
FIN would be used for a polite termination).

However - Source Port 5???  Remote Job Entry???   That seems so unlikely...

Frankly I can't see that it has anything to do with FTP service at all.

It would be useful to know what network activity preceded this log entry -
what was someone trying to do (almost certainly starting from the FTP server,
sending to the router)?

Antony.

--
You can spend the whole of your life trying to be popular,
but at the end of the day the size of the crowd at your funeral

 - Frank Skinner

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.