Hello -- complicated firewal :(

Hello,

	I have been using iptables for a while but only in simple setups. Now I have been given the task to setup a major enterprise level firewall.

This firewall has 22 external virtual IP addresses plus one primary internal and external IP. Oh it also has 1 virtual IP on the internal as well.

So right now I have two firewalls running a master and slave cluster - which every one is master listens on it's external and internal primary IP's for connections from me only so I can administer it.

Plus then the master will listen on the 22 virtual IP's for DNAT them to the severs on the DMZ.

The slave will only listen for traffic on the external and internal primary IP's so I can administer it.

For a failover to be transparent the internal NIC of the master will listen on 172.16.0.1 and this is the internal networks gateway. This is NOT the primary IP of either firewall.

OK my question is .. when my master is up on firewall-1 it will listen on 172.16.0.1 (internal network default gateway) and 172.16.0.2 (primary INTERNAL IP used only for administration)

How can I make it so internal users can only use 172.16.0.1 as a internet gateway and NOT 172.16.0.2.

>From my knowledge the FORWARD chain can only filter on source and destination address -- I would think I would have to filter out based on what IP the packet was forwarded to ... but how ?

I hope this is clear -- I tried looking for help on some IRC channels and nobody understood what I was talking about.

--
Michael Gale
Network Administrator