Re: simple questions to finally understand netfilter

Am Don, 2003-11-27 um 17.14 schrieb Juan Hernandez:
> Another question...
>
> On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 12:04, Ralf Spenneberg wrote:
> > Am Don, 2003-11-27 um 16.41 schrieb Juan Hernandez:
> >
> > > 1) This rule tells netfilter to drop any packet forwarding I guess
> > > iptables -P FORWARD DROP
> > This is a default rule. All packets not accepted or dropped by other
> > rules will be dropped by this one.
>
> If this drops everything else, how come there's access to the webserver
> in that same machine?? It's not that I dont want it, its just that im
> curious on what does this rule drops exactly cause I can still access my
> webserver
Because the FORWARD chain only covers packets to be forwarded to other
machines. Packets destined to the local machine are filtered in the
INPUT chain. Do a
iptables -P INPUT DROP
and you webserver should stop responding (if there are no other INPUT
rules).

Cheers,

Ralf
--