Re: Forwarding help

On Thursday 27 November 2003 1:14 pm, Ray Leach wrote:

> Halflife like most network games uses UDP, so should be able to work
> through nat.

I'm not sure I see the reasoning here.   Just because something uses UDP
doesn't automatically mean it will work through nat?

The criterion for whether a protocol will work through nat or not is whether
the IP address that each end-system thinks it has gets embedded in the
communication somewhere or not.   If those addresses do get embedded in the
packet contents, then it won't work through nat without a helper which
understands where and how the embedding is done, and can fiddle about with
it.

I don't think it makes any difference whether the packets get to the other end
by TCP, UDP or anything else?

Antony.

--
The first fifty percent of an engineering project takes ninety percent of the
time, and the remaining fifty percent takes another ninety percent of the

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.