RE: Order in ruleset edition

It is acceptable, but it creates a significant amount of downtime. Uptime is important on our network so this solution minimizes the amount of time the network is unavailable. I have had rulesets in the past that would take 5-10 minutes to upload and install because they were so large. That is a long time for any number of people to lose Internet access.

-----Original Message-----
From: Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães [mailto:leolistas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 14:27
To: Hildebrand, Brian; Netfilter (E-mail)
Subject: Re: Order in ruleset edition

    To prevent problems during a firewall reload/restart, I usually do:

    1) do 'echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward' on the very beggining of
the script
    2) define the default actions to drop on the very first rules ( -P
DROP )
    3) insert ALL the rules (can take some seconds)
    4) do 'echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward'
    5) firewall is READY

    What do you think on this ?

    Sincerily,
    Leonardo Rodrigues

The information transmitted in this message is intended only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this document.