NFS Client/Server Firewall.

Hi,

I recently tried setting up an NFS server in my LAN and I've already nailed down the necessary ports so that lockd, statd, rquota and mountd now occupied ports 4000-4003. I did the same thing with clients just in case it would be necessary for running iptables there too. I setup iptables on the server using suse's yast tool, and then editing their susefirewall2 script to allow these ports: 2049, 111, 4000:4003 and the server worked fine - all of my clients could access it. However, when I went to firewall my clients (again using yast to configure iptables with the same ports) I couldn't connect to my server. Instead it gave an error message of "RPC: Timed Out".

I'd be more than happy writting my own iptables ruleset however I'm unsure as to what needs to be allowed by default for linux to work thats why I used yast to just add-in the parts I thought I needed. If anyone could give any advise about what I'm doing wrong or how I could setup iptables myself with rules that would protect both my nfs/samba server and my normal clients I'd appreciate it greatly.

Vincent