Re: Checksumming Issues

On Friday 21 November 2003 8:15 pm, Leonid Veytser wrote:

> A general question about checksumming. If I change the destination address
> in the IP header, then of course I need to recalculate the IP header
> checksum.

"You" the user (or system administrator) do not need to recalculate any
checksums - the SNAT or DNAT code does this for you.

> But do I have to recalculate the checksum of the next protocol
> header (ie TCP, UDP, etc)?

No.   Everything is handled for you in the background.   Anyway, if you only
change the IP address (source and/or destination), the TCP or UDP checksum
remains valid.

Antony.

--

Feeling bad at breakfast because you don't have a hangover is evidence of a
complex emotional life it can take many years to perfect.

 - Pete McCarthy, The Road to McCarthy
                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.