Re: quick question re: natting

On Friday 21 November 2003 10:58 am, Knight, Steve wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I've got ADSL ppp0 facing the net, at x.x.x.47 [as part of a x.x.x.46/29
> subnet], and I want to do static NAT for hosts 48,49 and 50.
>
> I have a quick question, and my Ziegler book is at home at the moment.
> Back in the days when I worked with Checkpoint, I would have had to have
> ARPed 48, 49 and 50 onto the external interface via the operating system,
> for the one-to-one static NAT to work.  Do I need to ARP the IP addresses
> onto ppp0 under Linux / iptables also?

Maybe :)

Sorry to be uncertain, but it depends how your ADSL link works.

If this were a 'normal' routed leased-line type link, then I would say "Yes,
you need to ARP for the extra addresses (a simple way is to use ip addr to
assign those addresses to you external interface, although I'm not sure if
you can do this with ppp interfaces?)".

However, since this is an ADSL setup (and certainly on UK BT ADSL connections
I've seen some very odd routing arrangements), it may be that all addresses
in your range are being routed through to your end of the ppp link, and you
don't need to ARP for them (ARP is not needed on a point to point link, only
on broadcast-type network structures).

I would recommend just trying it without ARP and see if you get packets -
either set up a netfilter rule matching one of the the addresses and see if
"iptables -L -n -v -x" shows any bytes or packets being counted for it, or
else use a packet sniffer / protocol analyser such as tcpdump or ethereal to
see if such packets arrive at your machine.   If they do, no need for ARP.

Hope this helps,

Antony.

--

The difference between theory and practice is that
in theory there is no difference, whereas in practice there is.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.