Re: iptables questions

Good evening, Antti,

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Antti Korpela wrote:

> I have here some questions and i hope you have some time to answer
>
> 1. What difference and which is better between: iptables -t nat -j
> MASQUERADE or SNAT --to IP if im using it for internet gateway
> NAT-machine in big LAN-parties, over 300 IP:s.

	MASQUERADE is for situations where your outside IP address
changes; most commonly used for modem connections.  If your outside
address is static, use SNAT.
	http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/NAT-HOWTO-6.html

> 2. I have get this error often "too much work on eth0, dropping

	I _think_ this is a better question for the linux-net mailing
list.  I have a sense this is an internal problem with the network card
driver and not with netfilter.
	You might see if a newer kernel is available, or even consider
using the 2.6.x test kernels; they're probably able to scale better.

> packet..." what this mean? do i have to put this on kernel: echo "65000"
> > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max ? is there any other solutions for
> this ?

	I don't think this is related.

> 3. Do you have some other tips for MASQ ? :)

	I tend to include this line in /etc/modules.conf to increase the
connection table size (not sure if it's truly required anymore):
options ip_conntrack hashsize=16384
	Cheers,
	- Bill

	"Scattered showers my ass!"