Re: Streaming and online radio

On Monday 17 November 2003 11:29 pm, Helder C Souza wrote:

> Hello,
>
> There is someway to block acess to online radio ( like Itunes ) and online
> streaming ( WindowsMedia , Real, etc ). All this programs can go by 80 port
> and i can´t figure out how iptables can solve this . Thanks.

Very difficult to use netfilter to block a protocol using port 80, assuming
that you still want to allow http at the same time.

Netfilter is a packet filter - it can be set to block or allow TCP port 80,
but it can't tell what sort of commands or responses are being sent on port
80.   Netfilter looks at OSI layers 3 & 4, but doesn't really know about
layer 7.

If you really want to control this sort of thing you need an application
layer filtering system (proxy) such as squid.

Antony.

--

Normal people think "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Engineers think "if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet".

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.