Re: System Load

On Monday 17 November 2003 11:54 am, bikrant@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Monday 17 November 2003 15:01, Ray Leach wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 11:34, Rohit wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > 	Is it possible to know how much system resources (cpu/memory load)
> > > that the netfilter module(s) is using? We are using HTB to shape our
> > > client traffic and there are 4 iptables rule for each client in the
> > > mangle table. I think it will be helpful to gather such data and graph
> > > it using mrtg.
> >
> > Just remember, iptables is only used to mark the traffic. tc is used to
> > classify and shape the traffic.
>
> Yeah you are right. But iptables must be using some resources(like cpu time
> etc) to mark the each and every packet. We have around 2-3 Mbps traffice
> flowing at each interface and I think that does consume some system
> resources. That is what I want to know about.

Presumably your traffic is not continuous, 24 hours a day, so here's a
suggestion:

Measure your system load when the traffic is at its lowest (middle of the
night perhaps?), and at its highest, then compare the two.

My guess is that with 2-3Mbits/sec you will hardly notice a thing.   Unless
your netfilter is running on a 486 I don't think you'll be able to measure it
(and even then I think it would do a perfectly good job).

Antony.

--

Documentation is like sex:
when it's good, it's very very good;