Wired routing problem

Dear group,

I intend to use iptables in order to limit access
trafic from our head office network(HON). The config
is as follows.

Firewall/Router

eth0
----
IP       10.2.248.1
MASK     255.255.248.0
B'CAST   10.2.255.255
Network  10.2.248.0

eth1
----
IP       172.16.1.1
MASK     255.255.0.0
B'CAST   172.16.255.255
Network  172.16.0.0

Client A
--------
IP       10.2.255.254
MASK     255.255.248.0
Gateway  10.2.248.1

Client B
--------
IP       172.16.1.3
MASK     255.255.0.0
Gateway  172.16.1.1

The firewall/router is a Redhat Linux 2.4.18
The situation where there are no iptables
running(stopped the service) and packet forwarding is
enables via sysctl.conf. As long as there are two(2)
machines as client A and B they connect to each other.
But then again when there is a CISCO route taken in as
a client, client A/B it does not ping to the router
from the other side. Could someone help me on this
issue.

Thanks sna regards