RE: Redirect to Honeypot?

For the curious, this is what I think I'm going to stick with for now:

	  Brouter --- DMZ

	    (NAT)

 	 (Decoy Box) --- 25% TARPIT, 25% DROP

 	 (Random HoneyPot) --- (One real W2K server, One real Linux, 10 emulated Honeyd devices)

Just as I had drop rules before, I now have DNAT rules first.  E.g.

	iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d (webserver) --dport ! 80 -j DNAT --to (decoy box)
	iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -d (webserver) --dport ! 80 -j (LOG/DROP)

Just to muddy the waters a bit, I added the TTL patch to the box distributing packets to my honeypots. E.g.

	iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -j TTL --ttl-inc 2

That makes TTL's from the NAT'ed boxes and the real boxes have the same value...

Now when I aim Nmap at my webserver, for example, it takes an average of 18 minutes to return results (against just that one server).  Once it even crashed, after 13 or so minutes of scanning.  I couldn't get it to run again after that (on my Windows laptop) until I rebooted.  Those results that are returned are wildly inaccurate, and are different each time the scan is run.  OS detection is amusing - it generally returns as Unknown, but sometimes picks something interesting.

While all this scanning is going on, my webserver still happily serves up pages to the attack box.

Clearly this is going to need more work to if I'd ever like to get it out of test.  If I find anything truely interesting, I'll pass it along.  If anyone has any comments/questions/concerns please don't hesitate to send them my way.

Thanks,

Bob