Re: open port to specific ip address

On Monday 10 November 2003 2:57 pm, Chris Brenton wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 08:26, Antony Stone wrote:
> > I assumed (maybe wrongly?) that because Lohan specified an internal IP
> > address, the access was required from the internal network.
>
> Obviously Lohan needs to be the one to clarify, but I think your right.
> Going back through the thread, it looks like the access is internal to
> internal, with forwarding to an external.
>
> Of course this is still going to give him trouble if 10.10.10.41 is part
> of the local subnet. Systems are going to ARP for this IP, not send the
> traffic to their default gateway.

That's why I included:

ip addr add dev eth1 internal_ip

as part of the original solution I proposed.

> You might be able to use publish ARP on the internal interface of the
> firewall, but that assumes a flat subnet and starts to get real messy.

Huh?   What do you mean by a 'flat subnet'?   Either the address is on a
local subnet, in which case arp sorts things out with the above ip addr
command, or else it's on the other side of a router, in which case there's no
problem because it gets forwarded anyway.

What's messy about this solution?

Antony.

--

Behind the counter a boy with a shaven head stared vacantly into space,
a dozen spikes of microsoft protruding from the socket behind his ear.

 - William Gibson, Neuromancer (1984)
                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.