UDP connection tracking problem

Hi, I've a very simple rule set as follows, and in summary
it looks to me like udp connection tracking info
is only being updated for traffic comming into the box?

Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
target prot opt source destination
ACCEPT all -- 127.0.0.1 anywhere
ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT all -- 172.18.1.170 anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination
ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere state NEW,RELATED,ESTABLISHED

The problem is that I can't initiate udp from this box.
If I allow udp in, I can do tftp fine.
Then removing the udp rule I can tftp fine for
variable amount of time 0s, 30s, 180s.

I'm using linux 2.4.20 and iptables v1.2.7a

cheers,
Pádraig.