Re: Memory leak?

On November 4, 2003 09:49 am, Michael Friedhoff wrote:
> Does anyone know of any memory leaks in the
> netfilter code?

	Netfilter in general is not known to have any terrible memory leaks, but you
dont tell us which version or sufficient detail of which modules you are
using.

> I have a dedicated dual 667 running as a SNAT server.
> It has two Intel Pro100S adapter.  This is a RedHat 9
> box.  I am running kernel version 2.4.20-8smp.  I know
> it is not as current as what it should be.  This is a
> production box and have not had the time to upgrade the
> kernel.  I have noticed a steady decrease in the amount
> of memory being utilized.

	Are you seeing any issues that indicate the box is in distress?

	Linux by its memory management nature will utilize all the ram in a system.
given sufficient time any system will end up with almost no  apparently  free
ram.  Should an application require it the kernel will free appropriate ram
from caching duties.

> [root@nat root]# ps -A
>   PID TTY          TIME CMD
>     1 ?        00:00:06 init
>     2 ?        00:00:00 migration/0
>     3 ?        00:00:00 migration/1
>     4 ?        00:00:00 keventd
>     5 ?        00:00:00 ksoftirqd_CPU0
>     6 ?        00:00:00 ksoftirqd_CPU1
>    11 ?        00:00:00 bdflush
>     7 ?        00:00:01 kswapd
>     8 ?        00:00:00 kscand/DMA
>     9 ?        00:00:56 kscand/Normal
>    10 ?        00:00:00 kscand/HighMem
>    12 ?        00:00:00 kupdated
>    13 ?        00:00:00 mdrecoveryd
>    21 ?        00:00:05 kjournald
>    79 ?        00:00:00 khubd
>  1239 ?        00:00:00 kjournald
>  1619 ?        00:00:07 syslogd
>  1623 ?        00:00:00 klogd
>  1641 ?        00:00:00 portmap
>  1968 ?        00:00:00 sshd
>  2006 ?        00:00:00 gpm
>  2053 ?        00:00:00 crond
>  2286 ?        00:00:00 atd
>  2345 tty2     00:00:00 mingetty
>  2346 tty3     00:00:00 mingetty
>  2347 tty4     00:00:00 mingetty
>  2348 tty5     00:00:00 mingetty
>  2352 tty6     00:00:00 mingetty
>  4596 tty1     00:00:00 mingetty
>  5013 ?        00:02:05 sshd
>  5016 pts/0    00:00:00 bash
>  5662 pts/0    00:00:00 ps
>
> I am not positive that netfilter is the cause for
> the memory loss, but it is the only purpose of the
> machine.  In the last 12 hours, the amout of
> available memory has decreased by 1.5MB.  I know
> that isn't much, but since this is a production box,
> I would rather not have to reboot it constantly.

	You shouldn't need to do this unless there are problems with connecting to
the box or there are demonstrable problems with client connections.

   Your logs will tell you that there are issues should there be problems.
Please post those messages should you get them.

--

	Alistair Tonner
	nerdnet.ca

     Any sufficiently advanced technology will have the appearance of magic.
	Lets get magical!