Re: iptables scripts

On 31 Oct 2003, Chris Brenton wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 07:26, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > for the iptables tutorial i was talking about that i'm giving on monday,
> > here's the first part of my script, just to show folks what they can do:
>
> This is *totally* cool. Thank you for sharing this with the list! :)
>
> The only thing I would add would be:
> iptables -F INPUT
> iptables -F OUTPUT
> iptables -F FORWARD
> iptables --table nat --flush
>
> or what ever you need. This way you can run it from the command line and
> clear out all existing rules before you write everything back in.

ah, grasshopper, i didn't show you the other two scripts i'm going
to demo.  first, there's the lockdown script, to be run if you realize
you've been hacked:
#!/bin/sh

# PANIC!  Lock the machine down.

IPT="/sbin/iptables"

# Flush all chains.

$IPT -F			# by default filter
$IPT -t nat -F
$IPT -t mangle -F

# Delete all user-defined chains.

for table in filter nat mangle ; do
	$IPT -t $table -X
done

# Reset all policies to DROP.

for chain in INPUT OUTPUT FORWARD ; do
	$IPT -P $chain DROP
done

echo "System totally locked down."

  and then there's the "clear all" script, which you would run
if you made a total mess of your rules and just want to clear
them out:

#!/bin/sh

# PANIC!  We've screwed up our tables.

IPT="/sbin/iptables"

# Flush all chains.

$IPT -F
$IPT -t nat -F
$IPT -t mangle -F

# Delete all user-defined chains.

for table in filter nat mangle ; do
	$IPT -t $table -X
done

# Reset all policies to ACCEPT.

for chain in INPUT OUTPUT FORWARD ; do
	$IPT -P $chain ACCEPT
done

echo "System totally open, you are now fair game."

  the tutorial will suggest that users can incorporate
the above in their main script any way they want.

rday