"selective" connection tracking?

Hi all.

I digged the mailing list archive as well as the documentation for an answer and found some hints, but no clear statement.

Is it possible to use connection tracking only for specified connections, but not for all? Or would it be possible to "disable" connection tracking for connections that go through the forward chain, and using it only for connections that from/to the machine itself?

As far as I could find out: when starting to use stateful inspection features connection tracking is loaded (as module), which then is applied to ALL the connections that are comming into / going out of the machine and are passed through it (where the machine acts as router). Is that correct?

Any help appreciated.

Bye, Mike