Re: Couple More Questions

David C. Hart wrote:

I've read the tutorial but a couple of doubts linger.

1. Since I'm only logging rejected packets, any suggestions on getting
name resolution into the log?

I'm not clear what you want to do. Do you want to do a DNS lookup on the rejected packet source IP and log the source name rather than the IP? If so I don't know of any way to change the content of the log entries generated by netfilter. You could always write a script to parse the logs, resolve the IP, and re-log it with the name.

2. I'm still a bit confused on the logging of the destination address.
With our one static IP, there are two possibilities. Either a packet is
intended for our IP or for another. Yet, the logs will always show the
destination address as the IP of the LAN interface. Any suggestions?

You're receiving packets from the outside world destined for your private lan IP address? Could you post the relevant rules from your chain and a few log entries that show this?

Jeff