RE: thoughts on a newbie tutorial i'll be giving shortly

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Knight, Steve wrote:

> Hi rob
>
> As a total newbie :) at least to iptables, I think what you have there is
> great.
>
> Just my 0.02, if it's worth that much considering I cant even get DNS
> lookups from my fw working.....

i saw your earlier postings, haven't looked closely at the symptoms,
but based on my little tutorial, i'm not sure why it wouldn't work
if, as i did, you:

1) allow pretty much everything out
2) allow all RELATED,ESTABLISHED stuff back in

  what i posted is based on protecting a single host.  it sounds
like you have a separate firewall protecting an internal network,
is that right?

rday