Re: first time set up

Any particular reason you want default output drop?
That is a lot of overhead unless the box is only a dns server
than your train of thought is ok.

Also you need

iptables -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT

you could specify as well the interface like so
-A INPUT -i eth0 -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT

Ted

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 06:50, Knight, Steve wrote:
> Hi there ---
>
> Once I've got the normal stuff in place on a test standalone box [default
> drop, accept related + established on tcp, loopback enabled]
>
> iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp -s $LOCALIP -d $DNS1 --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
>
> Shouldn't this be enough to allow standard dns resolution to take place?
> According to Ziegler, it should?
>
> Or am I a complete plum.
>
> Any pointers as to my plumness gratefully received.  Thanks :)
>
> steve

> Information in this email may be privileged, confidential and is
> intended exclusively for the addressee.  The views expressed may
> not be official policy, but the personal views of the originator.
> If you have received it in error, please notify the sender by return
> e-mail and delete it from your system.  You should not reproduce,
> distribute, store, retransmit, use or disclose its contents to anyone.
>
> Please note we reserve the right to monitor all e-mail
> communication through our internal and external networks.
Ted Kaczmarek<tedkaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
18 Packanack Lake Road
Wayne, NJ, 07470
973-633-6892