Re: efficient source address filtering and logging?

On October 28, 2003 09:59 am, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i'd like to find a short, efficient way to filter incoming packets with
> bogus source addresses, but i don't see an elegant way of doing it.
>
>   as we all know, there are a number of clearly bogus source addresses on
> incoming packets:
>
>   - broadcast
>   - your own IP address
>   - any of the private class A, B or C addresses
>   - class D addresses
>
> and on and on.  so it's natural to want to discard them and, just for fun,
> log them as well.
>
>   for elegance, i can create a user-defined chain called, say,
> "reject_bad_source_addresses" to which i jump with every incoming packet.
> this user-defined chain will test for all of the bad source addresses, one
> at a time, and DROP/REJECT each one.  however, if i want to log all of
> these rejections, i'd have to double the number of rules in this chain,
> so that each test would first LOG that packet, then be followed by a
> second rule to DROP it.  kind of a pain.

	Why don't you have the first user chain test for bad addresses, send them to
a second chain, which the logs all traffic going through it, and then drops

--

	Alistair Tonner
	nerdnet.ca

     Any sufficiently advanced technology will have the appearance of magic.
	Lets get magical!