TCP/UDP accounting data.

Hi,
I have created, using the iptables command, a set of chains for accounting
purpouses only.
For example, I have created a chain for account the TCP incomming traffic and
another one for account UDP incomming traffic.

I'm programming a C daemon that periodically takes the amount of bytes
accounted by every chain and stores it in a database.

At this moment I'm running the command iptables from inside my C program to
store the chain information in a file, and then parse this file to get the
data.
Is there any iptables C library I can use to get this accounting information
directly, without having to run the iptables command ?
Is this information stored in a /proc file ?

Greetings.
---
Carles Xavier Munyoz Baldó
carles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx