RE: securing windows farm using iptables

> How can I protect a windows exchange server and domain controller?
> windows farm --- linux iptables -- internet
>
> Again, I cannot change the windows exchange to linux postfix.
> Although it is within my authority to move to linux, hundreds
> of people using the windows farm won't be glad for a drastic
> change. I am slowly moving some people to linux though. :D

You don't have to. Put a Linux/Postfix mail relay between Exchange and
the internet and firewall the machine. Then you can also do spam/virus
filtering, etc.
Your people won't notice it (well, smart ones maybe).

> For the exchange server, what ports do I need to open? Do I
> need some port forwarding? I want to create some sort of
> routing through iptables so I can secure the windows server as well.

For pop/imap/ldap access you could do portforwarding, but also proxying.
In that case maybe Delegate is what you want but there could be better
options than Delegate. (http://www.delegate.org/delegate/)

> For the domain controller, people said I need to make sure dns
> is open. What else do I need to open up? Again, can I just do
> some routing for the dns?

If the DC requires DNS and has a DNS service ; yes. That can be covered
with NAT.

You can configure Exchange to use a smart host (in the above example :
Postfix) which does the actual sending of email on the internet. Then,
local DNS is enough for Exchange.

Gr,
Rob