Re: a sort of n00b question here but I'ld like to know.

On Tuesday, October 21, 2003 2:24 PM [GMT+1200=NZT],
SBlaze <dagent.geo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ok I did that(with top) My CPU usage for both procs is relativly low.
> They both tend to idle with other visable processes at 96-100% idle.
>
> root@nixn00b:~# vmstat
> procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- --system--
>  ----cpu---- r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo
>  in    cs us sy id wa 0  0  27464   5848  22848  44388    0    0
> 1     2   11     8  0  1 99  0

Looks fine... sounds to me like this is a red herring, are you sure your
problem is not just with your connection itself? You said:

> The reason I ask is that I have what I think is an unusual amount of
> inbound unsolicited udp traffic(which is dropped by
> iptables/netfilter).

Inbound unsolicited traffic will be dropped with or without iptables -
you don't need a firewall to stop that as it won't have anywhere to go
anyway. And you'd have to have a serious amount of traffic to choke the
CPU like that. But, that traffic could be using up your bandwidth of
course... If that's a possibility, you need to find out more about where
the traffic is coming from and where it's going to and why you're
receiving it.

-Simon