FTP/SSL

Is there any way to do connection tracking for incoming connections to
an FTP/SSL server?  I'm using a Bering (leaf.sourceforge.net)
mini-distro that uses the Shorewall firewall (www.shorewall.net).

My firewall has both ip_net_ftp and ip_conntack_ftp, but as we all know,
these don't work for FTP/SSL.

I am attempting to port-forward the FTP/SSL connection from the firewall
machine to a server in a service network.  The "command" connection on
port 21 works just great, but when I try to GET, PUT, or LS a file,
basically anything that uses the data connection, the firewall blocks
the connection.  It appears that FTP/SSL uses a high port -> high port
connection for the data connection.

One possible solution (which I don't like!) is to open a large range of
high ports in the firewall.  This seems a bit primitive.  There must be
a way to associate the initial port 21 connection with the subsequent
high-port connection.

Thanks for your help,

Sean