Weird problem

I just setup a new netfilter firewall and I'm having a weird problem
with it. After it was setup I plugged the network cables in it then
tried to access a random ftp site on the internet, it didn't work. So I
tried pinging the interfaces on the firewall, I could ping them all.
Then I tried pinging the router to the net but nothing, then I sshed
into another computer that's on the same subnet as the router and it
worked, so I try pinging the router again and it worked. So I tested a
few things on the net and everything seemed to work fine, from MY
workstation. So I tried on another computer and I still couldn't ping
the router, pinged the other computer that's on the same subnet as the
router and it worked, then I could ping the router and had access to the
net. Anybody has an idea why I have to connect to another computer
before I can reach the router?

Jean-Rene Cormier