Re: Chain Policy DROP versus ACCEPT and logging

Ted Kaczmarek wrote:
And that applies to when default input and forward policies are drop?
Having a hard time grasping that in my brain, but I do believe I may be
overheating a few neurons :-)

LOG is a little different from other rule targets since it doesn't cause a packet to be redirected. After logging the packet continues on to the next rule in the same chain.

Think of the default policy as the very last rule in the chain that only gets used when all the previous rules don't redirect the packet. Since it alway comes after the logging rule, it has no effect on it.

HINT: Beer cools neurons!

Jeff