Re: Netfilter in an HA-Enviroment

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 01:37:24AM +0200, Simon Lodal wrote:

> Hello
>
> Harald, I read your paper, and I'd love something like this. As I
> understand it, you imply a one master / multiple slaves model.
> However, what would prevent your protocol from being used in a
> master/master setup?

the protocol is not strictly limited to that.    However, you would need
a way of distributing the load between the nodes _without_ a loadsharing
box in front of them, because otherwise this box again has the problem
of having to deal with all packets.

> That would be much better, sometimes one fast machine is not enough.
> Each master could have a lighter load, and therefore more ressources
> to communicate with the others. And when one master goes down, only a
> group of users will be bothered by the delay before the others catch
> up it's traffic.

This is theoretically an option once the master/multiple slave model has
been implemented.   But don't underestimate the complexity behind this.

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>             http://www.netfilter.org/