Re: UDP-conntrack/nat question

This is a development question, please move this discussion to
netfilter-devel.  At least if you want to receive some reasonable
answers ;)

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 11:26:20AM +0200, n_dahlem@xxxxxxx wrote:

> /proc/net/ip_conntrack lists both connections (answer&reply) as unreplied.
> Can someone explain to me why the reply is seen as a new connection ? And
> how I can get NAT to expect answers from randomly selected high ports ?

this sounds like the connection is not symmetrically.  The conntrack
core assumes that connections are always symmetrically:

request:
(srcip x, scrport a)  -> (dstip y, dstport b)

reply:
(srcip y, srcport b) -> (dstip x, dstport a)

If this is not the case, you are in serious trouble.

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>             http://www.netfilter.org/