Re: iptables with nat problems

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, gb wrote:
> I am running RH8 firewalls with iptables 1.2.6a. The firewalls work just
> fine, but on reboot the nat part doesn't start up. It will not let
> internal traffic out or external traffic in until I do a restart.

Is it possible that some source or destination addresses are alphabetic,
and not in /etc/hosts?  Or that network names are resolved through NIS (YP)
and are not in /etc/networks?  (I didn't notice in the man page that
iptables actually honors networks, but if it did...)  These services start
after the iptables rules are installed.

Fixes: make sure names are in /etc/hosts and /etc/nsswitch.conf is
configured to fall back to files if DNS or YP is unavailable.  Of course,
Real Sysadmins hard-code all IP addresses and networks numerically.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA  90095-1555
Email: jimc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)