Re: nat "regression" in 2.4.23-pre and 2.5/6

I also encountered this sort of problem, but in a vanilla shorewall; As
I recall, it turned out that something is/was  screwy with the way
modules.dep is created... a lot of the iptables modules became dependent
on ipchains.o.  I recompiled my kernel without the ipchains and ipfwadm
modules and things appear to work again.

Note: I only *think* this is what was wrong! :-) :-)

- david

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Duncan Sands wrote:

> It used to be possible to use the masquerade target with user
> defined chains in the nat table.  For example, shorewall does
>
> iptables -t nat -A ppp0_masq -s 192.168.0.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0 -j MASQUERADE
>
> where ppp0_masq is a user defined chain.  This no longer works with the
> 2.4.23-pre kernels (it hasn't worked with 2.5 for a while): iptables: invalid argument.
>
> All is OK if you substitute POSTROUTING for the user defined chain ppp0_masq.
> The man page for iptables states:
>
>    MASQUERADE
>        This target is  only  valid  in  the  nat  table,  in  the
>        POSTROUTING  chain.
>
> So it looks like a check has been put into the netfilter code to enforce what the
> documentation states: only the POSTROUTING chain may be used.
>
> But why?  Is there any harm in using masquerade with user defined chains?
>
> Here is a comment from Tom Eastep (shorewall author):
>
> "It might be worth pointing out that by taking this strict interpretation
> of the documented behavior, user chains in the nat table are rendered
> useless. If the SNAT, DNAT and MASQUERADE targets can only be placed in
> the appropriate netfilter-define chains then there is no conceivable use
> for user-defined chains in that table."
>
> Duncan.

David Chambers
Core Cytometry and Molecular Imaging