Re: to know smtp traffic

On September 23, 2003 08:21 am, Joan Soler \(CODINE\) wrote:
> Hello, I'm trying to know the size of my traffic in smtp port (25), I
> write:
>
> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 25 -j traf_in
>
> But it doesn't works, anyone knows what can I do. I use Suse 8.0.
>
> Thanks a lot!!!.
> Joan S.

	And what do you have in traf_in chain?

	You could put a single line in traf_in that would log each packet, but that
would not accomplish your goal.

       You (if your firewall is DROP all and accept what you want/need) have a
line that accepts packets on port 25 somewhere.

	iptables -L -v includes packet/byte counters.

	The line that accepts your port 25 traffic will show inbound data counts.
	You could then setup a line that monitors outbound -dport 25 to see what
	your oubound data packet counts are.

 	there are other tools that are available to monitor this as well ... but
they are not in my scope.

--

	Alistair Tonner
	nerdnet.ca

     Any sufficiently advanced technology will have the appearance of magic.
	Lets get magical!