RE: why must linux for halted firewall?

The ideal of a halted firewall is that the only possible exploit that could compromise a box is the kernel and the network core itself, and not depend on having userspace programs to cause possible security concerns.

As for the concern that you can’t log, I believe you can send syslogs to another machine from the kernel, no?

I personally don’t really care for halted firewalls myself. I constantly tweak the firewall to my environment (basically daily) so a halted firewall wouldn’t make any sense to me. If you have an ultra static firewall configuration and physical access to the machine, I can see that there can be benefit of having it, but you would also need a read-only storage medium since if the kernel is compromised, they could still dump garbage to physical disks.