UDP Redirects

I have a system that is sending UDP packets to port 995 at about 100 packets/second. I want to redirect these to 1995 so that I can listen on an unpriveledged port. So I:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p udp --dport 995 \
    -j REDIRECT --to-port 1995

This seems to work some of the time, but most of the time not. It seems to work better when the connection is across a VPN which limits that packets to about 5-10/second. So I assume that I've hit some limit, however this (and a number of variants) don't seem to help:

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -m limit --limit 1000/s \
    --limit-burst 1000 -j ACCEPT

Am I missing something obvious? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

--

Jim Redman