Re: M$ Messenger 6 behind a linux router/firewall

Rob Sterenborg a écrit :

Sylvain BERTRAND said:

Hi everyone,

I'm the admin for 193.48.225.0/24 and I would like if it were possible
for my users to chat with Messenger 6 (got complaints already). I've
read a few M$ tech notes, and they suggest the use of Port Triggering or
UPnP firewall. AFAIK it would not be a good thing in security terms. Do
any of you know a solution to my problem?

So far MSN6/iptables works for me. Filetransfer (and the like) can be a problem. You could try to install a socks5 server and let MSN use it. Once NEC had a free one.. (I still have the old source somewhere if you can't find it.) But that won't solve the problem of webcams. Did you load the H323 contrack-/nat-modules ?

About UPnP, I found something at http://linux-igd.sourceforge.net. I think
that might be what you're looking for.

Gr, Rob

I've been looking around and I found both igd and upnp sourceforge projects. However, many people (including netfilter devs if I recall correctly) consider using UPnP as a main risk for security. I guess UPnP makes it easier for users to make P²P software run in active mode, even if my firewall (not running NAT) blocks incoming connections. How would you rate the efficiency of UPnP? Don't you think it would allow trojans and spywares to work a lot better than without?

Sylvain