Re: Kazaa Ports

--- Jeffrey Laramie <JALaramie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> jimbo jones wrote:
>

> > Have you fiddled with the firewall settings in Kazaa that supposedly
> > let you change the outgoing port to anything you like.
>

> I don't know if Kazaa Lite has that option, but I'll look for it. We did
> set the maximum number of connections to 10 with the hopes that it would
> be happy with the ports I'd already opened. Unfortunately it appears to
> use source ports in sequence and doesn't reuse them, so all I did was
> delay the problem a few minutes.
>
> > I have heard in cases that you can change this to, say, port 80 and
> > suddenly everything goes (web port and all).  However I have exactly
> > the same setup with exactly the same issue and this option didnt work
> > for me.  But maybe it will for someone else.
>

> I posted an article a couple of days ago about this very issue: the
> ability of some programs to use commonly open ports for other types of
> connections and the ramifications this has on firewalling. Now we're on
> the other side of the fence viewing this as a "feature" rather than a
> threat. Of course if Kazaa didn't behave this way in the first place we
> wouldn't need to use other ports. Still the irony of the situation isn't
> lost on me.
>
> >   Would also like to get this solved.
> >
> > Suggestions appreciated.
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> Ditto. SBlaze had an idea to use DNAT in PREROUTING, but I don't think
> that will work here. I can't predict which ports would need to be natted
> and if I nat every port it'll break all the other services. Something
> tells me the developers of Kazaa Lite just aren't too concerned about
> the security of our proprietary information ;-)
>
> Jeff

I still say all that should be needed is finding out what the ports are....
more over what are the minimum ports needed to maintain the service.

Find that out and you may or may not be able to DNAT to the destination you
need. Depending on what services you offer already(ie kazzaa may need port 80
but you are running apache elsewhere).

SBlaze

=====
"Winky is not knowing how sir, winky is not knowing how?" -=Winky / Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire=-"