Re: Firewall performance querry

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 11:21, Pradeep Bhomia wrote:
Hello Friends,

I have recently setup an iptables based firewall and put a Sendmail server
behind firewall (although after facing some problems and with help from
friends in this mailling list). Now I want to put a proxy server behind this
same firewall. Right now the proxy server is connected directly to the
internet. Before moving ahead I want to know what will be the load on the
firewall. The configuration of firewall box is P4, ~1.8GHz, 256MB RAM,
Mandrake Linux 9.1, IPTables 1.2.7 and Shorewall 1.3.14. I will be having
aroung 300-400 concurrent users. I plan to setup NATting. Can anybody help me
in this regard. Whether NATting will be sufficient to take care about this
load or some other method can be used ( Total load on firewall will be some
1000 email accounts on sendmail server and around 400 clients for web
browsing). If anybody can direct me to some websites having some sort of
statistics for iptables.

Thanks a lot,

Pradeep Bhomia
See basically the firewall will not process much of your traffic, which simply forwards the packets. So the currnet configuration for firewalling is sufficient for iptables.
And you have to use natting if you are placing the proxy server before the firewall.
--
Regards
Dharmendra.T